Spring Cultural Events Scheduled
March 16, 2017
The Division of Humanities at Walters State Community College invites area residents to enjoy its spring cultural events. Unless otherwise noted, events are free.
- Vacuum Shop Studios Exhibition: The Vacuum Shop Studios is a collaboratively run artist studio in Knoxville. The artists featured in this exhibition (Eleanor Aldrich, Heather Hartman, Kelly Hider, Ashton Ludden, Erin Mullenex, Chelsie Nunn, Deb Rule and Jessie Van der Laan) share the studio space, maintaining the space and connection to the Knoxville arts community. The exhibition runs through April 13 in the Catron Gallery of the R. Jack Fishman Library.
- WSCC Student Art Exhibition: The Student Art Exhibition highlights outstanding artworks created by Walters State students enrolled in studio art courses. The show has long been an integral component of the visual arts curriculum. The public is invited to an opening reception on April 28 from 5-7 p.m. the exhibition runs through Sept. 8 in the Catron Gallery of the R. Jack Fishman Library.
- Faculty & Friends Recital: Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the Judge William H. Inman Humanities Complex Theatre.
- Choir Concert of Jubilate Deo by Dan Forrest: To be conducted by Dr. Bernardo Miethe, the concert will feature a chamber orchestra. The concert is free but donations will be accepted. March 31, 7:30 p.m., First United Methodist Church, Morristown.
- Disney Pops Concert: This will be the WS Sensations spring pops concert featuring the music of Disney. Judge William H. Inman Humanities Complex Theatre, April 8 and 9 at 2:30 p.m., and on April 8 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. Also, after the April 2:30 p.m. matinee, there will be a Disney Princess Party, where children can meet the performers and participate in Disney themed activities. The cost for this event is $15 per child. For reservations, call 423-585-6922 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Community Band Concert: The concert will be conducted by Tom Shupe and Gregg Woodruff in the Jack E. Campbell College Center “Z” Buda Gymnasium on April 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Jazz Band Concert: To be conducted by Mike Thomas on April 25 at 7:30 p.m. The concert location will be announced at a later date.
- 10th Annual Evening of Bluegrass: Chip McLain and The High Lonesome Senate will play on April 27 at 7 p.m. in the Connor-Short Center (CAPE)-104. The concert is free but donations will be accepted for the Walters State Folklore Club.
- Choir Spring Concert: Set for May 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Judge William H. Inman Humanities Complex Theatre.
- College Community Chorale and First United Methodist Chancel Choir: The concert will feature Hayden’s “The Creation” with soloists and orchestra on May 7 at 7 p.m. at First United Methodist Church in Morristown.
- The 9th Annual Cliffy Awards: This event will be held on April 20 at 11 a.m. in the Judge William H. Inman Humanities complex Theatre.
- The musical “Grease” will be held April 21, 22, 28 and 29 at 7:30 p.m., and on April 23 and 30 at 2:30 p.m., in the Judge H. Inman Humanities Complex Theatre. Tickets are $10 general admission, $8 for senior citizens and $5 for students. For reservations, call 423-585-6922 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- CommFest and Humanipalooza: This “two festivals in one” event on all campuses celebrates “communication across the humanities” April 10-13. Contact Marci Nimick at email@example.com or 423-798-7986.
Events At Other Campuses
- Tuesdays with Marci: An open-mic eent every Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in the Greeneville Campus Café.
- Studio Ensemble performing at Seafood Fest: “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay” on April 22 at 5 p.m. The cost is $25 for the meal and concert. Reservations are required. Contact Deb Peachey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-774-5817.
- Jazz Band and Studio Ensemble Concert: Directed by Dale Disney and Charles Rule, the concert will be on April 24 at 7 p.m. in CAPE 106. The concert is free, but donations for the Recording Club will be accepted.
- Concert Choir and Voice Studios: Directed by Amber Williamson, the concert will be on May 1 at 7 p.m. in CAPE 106. Admission is free.
For more information on any of these events, call the Humanities Division at 423-585-6822 or 423-585-6947.