New VA Students
You must apply and be admitted to the college. Visit the Steps to Enrollment for more information about the process.
Please note, some programs of study such as the Basic Law Enforcement Officer Academy have additional admissions requirements. You may wish to contact the specific academic division for more information.
If you plan on using your military benefits and do not want to pay tuition and fees while your benefits are being processed, you must request Payment Deferment.
Printable Apply for Benefits Instructions
VA Educational Benefits
The admissions process and enrolling in classes must be complete before the school can certify your enrollment; however, you can apply for VA benefits before admittance to the college or enrolling in classes. This is encouraged because it may take a few weeks for the VA to process your application.
You may also apply for financial aid assistance
Apply for VA Educational Benefits
This can be done before you have been accepted to college
- Apply for Dependent Benefits
If you are a Dependent needing to submit the following:
- Application for Family Members to Use Transferred Benefits
- Dependents' Application for VA Educational Benefits
- Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
The submission of your application will result in the issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs.
If you have questions or need assistance completing the application, contact the VA Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551. You may also utilize the "Ask a Question" option on their site.
- You may be eligible for more than one program, be sure and review the "Compare the Programs" option before you make your program selection.
- Also, there is a "Benefits Calculator" available on the website that may be useful.
- The GI Bill Website is an excellent source of veteran information, not only for education benefits but for other veteran's benefits that you may be eligible. You are encouraged to be become familiar with it so that you can make the best decision for you and your family.
Tuition Assistance Authorization
VA Chapter 1606 (Guard & Reserves only)
If you are applying for Chapter 1606
- submit a copy of your DD214
- submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) DD2384
Your reserve unit should have issued this notice to you when you became eligible for educational benefits.
If you need assistance on the GoArmyEd website, you may call their Helpdesk at 1-800-817-9990.
Once you have obtained all the documents above, call and make an appointment with the WSCC VA Certifying Official at 423-585-6896 to complete the certifying process.