Disability Services Forms

Disability Related Forms


High School vs. College

Welcome to Walters State Community College and congratulations on the start of your college career! You will experience a variety of differences in the college setting compared to your high school experience. Below are comparisons important to students with disabilities.

High School

  • Education is an entitlement.
  • Accommodations are governed by Individuals with Disabilities Act: IDEA and Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
  • IDEA is focused on success.
  • Students needing services are identified by the school. The school can and most often initiates the process of eligibility and service provision.
  • School systems provide evaluations for determining eligibility at no cost to the student.
  • Accommodations are outlined in and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
  • Teachers take responsibility for implementing the Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
  • High schools can modify academic requirements such as required curriculum and grading.
  • Parents have access to student records and often participate in the accommodation process.



  • Education is a choice.
  • Accommodations are governed by Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Title 11: ADA and Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
  • ADA is focused on access. Success is not guaranteed.
  • Students must request accommodations through the Office of Disability Services. The student must initiate the process of obtaining accommodations.
  • Documenting a disability is up to the student and is at their own expense. Walters State does not provide evaluations.
  • At Walters State, accommodations are outlined in an Educational Support Plan (ESP).
  • Students are responsible for seeing that the Educational Support Plan (ESP) is implemented.
  • Colleges are not required to alter any essential course requirements or adjust assignment deadlines.
  • Parents do not have access to student records. Disability Services staff do not communicate with parents about the student without the student being present or giving written consent.




Disability Services

Student Support Services
Student Services Building
View Map

fax: 423.318.2344


Need Help?

Senators Central is here to assist with all your college needs.