Student Success Advising Center FAQ

Advising FAQ's

General Questions

How do I apply for financial aid and are there any deadlines?
You can apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA beginning October 1st. You can complete your application electronically at The information you provide on the FAFSA is also used to determine your eligibility for some state and institutional scholarships. WSCC's fall priority deadline is June 30. Students who apply after this date or who turn in required documentation after this date, may have to pay for tuition and fees until a determination of aid can be determined.
I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
Yes. We encourage everyone to apply! Often students who don't think they will be eligible are eligible. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying.
How do I start the financial aid process?
Complete a Free online Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st. This begins the financial aid process.
Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?
No. You can apply for financial aid anytime beginning October 1st; however, we will not receive the electronic copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) until admissions is complete.
Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
Yes. You have to fill out the FAFSA every year you are in school. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly from year to year based on household size, income number of family members in college, etc. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on your making satisfactory academic progress towards a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA. Yes. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid.
What happens if I purposely provide inaccurate information and I am caught?
If you use the FAFSA to apply for Federal student aid funds and provide false information, you are subject to fines and/or imprisonment under the U.S. Criminal Code. State and local laws may also apply in such cases.
When can I expect to hear about my financial aid package?
For new applicants to Walters State, you must be accepted for admission before your FAFSA will be loaded into our college system. Depending on the time of year you file and/or turn in requested documentation, it may take 2-6 weeks for processing. Processing for the upcoming award year begins in early April of each year. The first batch of award notifications is generally emailed in late April. Students may also check MyWS for the current status of their application. Generally speaking, the closer it gets to the term start date, the longer it takes to process the FAFSA. This is due to the volume of applications that are received after the 6/30 priority deadline. Hence, apply early!



Student Success Advising Center Questions

Does my Admissions file have to be complete (submission of test scores and transcripts) before I can meet with an academic advisor?

It is recommended that students have test scores (ACT, SAT, *ACCUPLACER Placement Scores, SAILS scores) and college transcripts on file with Walters State Admissions prior to meeting with an academic advisor.  

*Students that would like to improve their entrance placement status in reading, writing, and mathematics can take the ACCUPLACER Next Generation exam.  Learn more at the Testing Info page

What is advising?
Advising is a conversation providing students guidance, support, and encouragement.  You will have an appointment with an advisor in-person, by phone, or virtually for your selected major.  During the appointment, you will select classes for your major and create a class schedule.  
Who is an advisor?
An advisor may be a professional advisor, faculty member, or staff member who provides you with academic advice or guidance.  Each semester, you will meet with your advisor who will guide you through your education at Walters State.  You may schedule an appointment with your advisor at any time if you have questions or need assistance.
Why do I need to meet with an academic advisor?
Your advisor will support you in the development of your educational plan as you strive to reach your future goals.  In addition, your advisor will assist you in determining the appropriate classes each semester that meet your degree requirements.    
How do I connect with my advisor?

All first-time degree or certificate-seeking students will complete online New Student Orientation.  Upon completion of Orientation, an advisor will contact you to schedule an advising appointment. 

Transfer, re-admitted, non-degree seeking, and continuing students can schedule an advising appointment directly with an advisor.  Visit the Advising page to find the appropriate advising contact or contact the Student Success Advising Center at 423.318.2337.

Do I have to be advised every semester before registering? 
Yes.  You will see an Advising Hold each semester when you log into your MYWS account. An Advising hold will prevent you from registering for courses until you meet with your advisor. Your Advising Hold will be removed by your advisor.
Will my advisor help me register for my classes in MYWS?
Your advisor will assist you with selecting classes to complete registration through your MYWS account.  If you need further assistance with class registration, refer to the Registration page or contact Senators Central at senatorscentralFREEWS or the Student Success Advising Center at
What is a Program of Study?
Program of Study is a guide that students follow to know what courses they will take toward their major/degree.  This can be found in the College catalog at
What do different degrees mean?
  • (AA, AFA) - Associate of Arts and Associate of Fine Arts degrees are designed to transfer to a university and require a foreign language. 
  • (AS) - Associate of Science degrees are designed to transfer to a university and do not require a foreign language.
  • (AST) - Associate of Science in Teaching degrees are designed for students to transfer to a Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) teacher education program.  They follow a common curriculum.  With the AST, students are able to finish at any community college and enroll in any TBR teacher education program.  Students intending to transfer to the UT system or private institutions should consult with their academic advisor on the appropriateness of this program for transfer.
  • (AAS) - Associate of Applied Science degrees are not designed to transfer to a university. If you complete an AAS degree but want to attend a university, you may have more general education requirements to complete either at Walters State or at the university level. AAS degrees prepare students for careers in the field of study.
  • Certificate Programs – Prepare students for careers in the field of study and are not designed to transfer to a university.
  • (TTP) Tennessee Transfer Pathways degrees are associate degrees designed to transfer to a public university in Tennessee in any one of 50 different majors.  Learn more at
  • Learn more about Walters State’s degrees at
Will I earn an associate’s degree with a Tennessee Transfer Pathway (TTP) program?
 Yes, as long as you complete all of the program requirements. 
Can I minor at Walters State? 
Students do not minor at WSCC.  If interested in a minor at a 4-year university, please discuss with your advisor. ‘
What if Walters State does not offer the degree I’m hoping to pursue?
You can discuss this with your advisor.  Often the A.S. General Studies major is selected with guided course selection based on the intended program of study at the four-year institution. 
How many classes do I need to take to complete a degree/certificate?
See the College catalog for the complete list of classes and program hours required for your program of study. Go to, click the link, and select the catalog year based on the year you started.  Consult your advisor if you have questions about the catalog year or you started more than eight years ago.
What if I am a non-degree seeking/transient student?
Non degree seeking and transient students are not required to meet with an advisor before registering.  You may choose this pathway because you are interested in taking a class of interest or a class to transfer to your home four-year university.   Students should remember to submit a college transcript for prior completed courses and/or placement scores if you are taking a course that has a pre-requisite or college level placement.  
What is a change of major?
A change of major is when you change your program of study. Changing your major may mean you have a new advisor and can affect your academic progress toward graduation. You will need to contact the advisor for your new program of study and complete a Change of Major form.  The Change of Major can be found at the Admissions Forms page.  Students may contact their current advisor for assistance in contacting the new advisor. 
What is a co-requisite? 
A co-requisite is a course that you need to take with another course in the same semester. For example, if you need to take a science course, then you will also need to take the co-requisite lab course.  
What is a pre-requisite? 
A pre-requisite is a course you need to complete before taking another course. For example, you must earn credit for ENGL 1010, English Composition I, before taking ENGL 1020 English, Composition II.  
How do I know if a course has a co-requisite or pre-requisite? 
Your advisor will provide guidance on your course selection.  Course descriptions can also be found in the college catalog and will include co-requisite and pre-requisite required courses.
What is a Degree Evaluation (Degree Works)?
Degree Works is a degree evaluation progress tool accessible through your MYWS account.  This tool provides your current GPA, a list of classes required for your selected degree program, and a progress meter indicating how close you are to completing your degree program at Walters State. Keep in mind, if your major is incorrect, your progress is incorrect, your list of required classes and progress meter are incorrect as well. Find more information at the Degree Works Help page.
What is Student Profile?
Student Profile is a resource where you may access advising notes from the meetings with your advisor.  You can access this through MYWS account.



Contact us

Student Success Center
Morristown Campus
CCEN 222
View Map
Phone: 423.318.2337

Academic Advisors


Student Success Center

Do you need to contact your Academic Advisor? We're here to help!