Walters State Community College does not participate in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. However, you may stop by the financial aid office or click here for additional information on types of financial aid available.

Walters State encourages all students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), as students may qualify for other forms of federal student financial assistance through other Title IV programs such as Pell, Supplemental Educational opportunity Grant (SEOG) or Federal Work Study. The FAFSA is also required for state programs, including the Tennessee Lottery Scholarship.

Did you know that the college offers a deferred payment plan? Click here to learn more.

Already have a loan? Click here for information on repaying your student loans.


Exit Counseling

Students that received a William D Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loan at any time during their enrollment at Walters State are still required to complete a mandatory information session when they graduate, withdraw or attend school less than half-time. You should complete your EXIT Loan Counseling before you leave school to make sure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.

Click here to to complete your EXIT counseling


Private Education Loans

Walters State does not endorse any private loan servicer or products that they offer.

Private Education Loans are non-federal loans made by a lender such as a bank, credit union or any other financial institution engaged in the business of soliciting, making or extending private education loans. Private loans are intended to help bridge the gap in funding your educational cost after all other sources of aid (grants, scholarships and work study) have been considered.

Walters State Community College does not endorse any private loan servicer or the products that they offer. As a result, students are encouraged to research which private loans will best meet their needs by comparing interest rates, fees and repayment terms and conditions.

Things to consider when applying for a Private Loan:

  • Private student loans may require an established credit record.
  • Private student loans may require a co-signer.
  • Private student loans may require you to make payments while you are in school.
  • Private student loans can have variable interest rates which may increase the amount you have to repay.
  • Private student loans are not subsidized. No one pays the interest while you are in school.
  • Private student loans may not offer forbearance or deferment option.

Students may choose any lender when applying for a private loan. However, the lender may require you to complete a self-certification form in which you will be required to report your cost of attendance (COA) and any awards received at Walters State. This information is available on MyWS by selecting Financial Aid Award Package. You may also come by the financial aid office for assistance with this information.

Private loans may also be referred to as "alternative loans," but please keep in mind that these loans are not Title IV loans. Students are subject to the terms of the private lender. Students are encouraged to read all disclosures carefully and become well-informed borrowers.


Repaying Your Student Loans

Remember that your student loans are real and can impact your ability to borrow in the future. Failure to make payments or defaulting on your student loan can negatively impact your credit rating and ability to borrow.

You must repay a student loan even if you cannot find a job, fail to complete your education or your financial circumstances become difficult.

 Click here to learn more about repaying student loans.

Financial Aid - Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to view the answer.

When do I begin repayment? 
After you graduate, withdraw, or drop below less than half-time. Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized loans typically have a six-month grace period before payments are due.
Who do I repay?
You will make payments to your loan servicer
Who is my loan servicer?
You should check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to view information about your loans. You will need your FSA ID to access your information.
How much will my payments be?

Your monthly payment amount will depend on:

  • How much you borrowed
  • The type of student loan
  • Interest rates
  • Your repayment plan.

Click here to use a repayment estimator to determine which repayment plan may work best for you and estimate what your overall payment may be. You will need your FSA ID because the estimates will be based on your actual loan information.

What if I don't receive a bill?

You are still responsible for making your scheduled monthly payments even if you do not receive a bill or payment booklet. It is your responsibility to notify your loan servicer. If you do not make your loan payments you will go into Default.

What if I can't make my loan payment?
Contact your loan servicer as soon as possible. Options may include: changing your repayment date, changing your repayment plan, deferment or forbearance.
What is deferment?
Period in which the principal balance of the loan is temporarily postponed (no payment is required). Common reasons a loan may be deferred: enrollment in school at least half-time, inability to find full time employment, economic hardship or military service. You have to apply for deferment with your loan servicer and you must continue to make payments until your request has been approved.
What is forbearance?
Period of time in which your monthly payments may be postponed or reduced as a result of economic hardship or illness. You should contact your loan servicer if you feel that you may qualify for deferment or forbearance and continue making monthly payments until you have been notified that your request has been approved.
What is loan consolidation?
Combining multiple federal student loans with various repayment schedules to have one monthly payment rather than several monthly payments. Students should contact their loan servicer to learn more about Direct Loan Consolidation or click here.
What happens if I don't make my student loan payment?

You will go into DEFAULT! 

Failure to make your payments has serious legal consequences. Your credit rating will be negatively impacted and you may have trouble securing mortgages, getting a car loan, renting an apartment or even getting a cell phone plan. It can also lead to garnishment of wages and withholding of your tax refund. DON'T IGNORE DEBT IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!

What is default?

Failure to repay your loan as scheduled according to the terms of your promissory note. Federal student loans are typically considered to be in default if a payment has not been made in 270 days or more. At the time of default, outstanding interest is capitalized and collection fees may be added, resulting in a loan balance that is higher than the amount borrowed. Until the default is resolved, collection efforts continue and the defaulter will be ineligible for additional federal student aid.

How do I get my student loans out of default?

Work with your loan servicer, lender or collection agency by explaining your situation. They can help you resolve the default. Some options may include: loan repayment, loan rehabilitation or loan consolidation.

How can I resolve disputes if I believe my loan has been placed in default by mistake?
Identify the problem and contact your loan servicer. Your loan servicer will work with you to help resolve any discrepancies. Click here for more information on common loan problems and how to resolve.



Need help getting started?

We got your back! Financial Aid 101 will tell you everything you need to know.