Tips on resume writing and interview techniques are available. Call and schedule an
Some points to remember
- Analyze strengths and weaknesses
- Read employer literature
- Dress in good taste
- Be yourself
- Be positive
- Ask questions
- follow up with thank you letter
Dressing for the Interview
The greatest influence you have on an interviewer for at least the first few minutes
will be your appearance. Be attractively clean and conservative. You do not want to
wear anything that will distract the interviewer's attention from what you are saying.
Positives: well-tailored, well-pressed suits for both men and women, conservative
jewelry, neat hairstyles. Negatives: messy looking, too much makeup, perfume/after
shave, loud colors, uncared for shoes, dirty fingernails.
Why Employers DO NOT Hire...
- Asks no questions about the job.
- Indefinite response to questions.
- Lack of planning for career - no purpose or goal.
- Lack of interest and enthusiasm; passive; indifferent.
- Lack of confidence and poise; nervous, ill at ease.
- Never heard of hiring organization.
- Poor personal appearance.
- Overbearing, over aggressive, conceited, superiority complex, know-it-all.
- Inability to express self clearly; poor voice, diction, grammar.
- Over emphasis on money; interested only in best dollar offer.
- Poor scholastic record; just got by.
- Unwilling to start at the bottom; expects too much too soon.
- Makes excuses, hedges on unfavorable factors on record, evasive.
- Lack of tact.
- Lack of maturity.
- Lack of courtesy; ill-mannered.
- Condemnation of past employers.
- Lack of social understanding.
- Marked dislike for school work.
- Lack of vitality.
- Fails to look interviewer in the eye.
- Limp, "dead-fish" handshake.
- Late to interview without good reason.
- Sloppy application blank.
- Wants job only for short time.
- Lack of knowledge of field of specialization.
- Parents make decisions.
- No interest in hiring organization.
- Emphasis on whom he/she knows.
- Unwillingness to go where sent.
- Narrow interests.
- Poor handling of personal finance.
- Inability to take criticism.
Record of Interviews for which You Have Signed
||XYZ Company / MR...
|Letter of application / resume
|On-site visit to organization
|Thank you letter sent for interview
|Job offer received
|Letter of acceptance
|Rejection letter received
|Thank you letter for consideration
Counseling and Testing
Student Services Building